KUALA LUMPUR: While admitting that no one likes to lose, former Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin will have no qualms if he is disqualified from contesting in Saturday’s Malaysian Paralympic Council (MPC) elections.
The 43-year-old, who met the press on Tuesday, said his only wish was to contribute to the council if given the opportunity to lead, replacing outgoing president, SM Nasarudin SM Nasimuddin.
It is learnt that Khairy submitted his nomination for the president’s post on June 15, a day after the closing date, raising questions on validity.
“I know reports have surfaced about hidden hands trying to get me the president's post but I want to clear the air that I submitted my nomination because I hold the MPC close to me.
“I was also informed verbally on June 14 that I could still submit my nomination the next day, by SM Nasarudin. I only submitted my nomination because I was told so,” said Khairy.
“As a former Minister and someone who has held the vice president's post at the FA of Malaysia (FAM), I believe I have a lot to contribute through my ideas.
“However, as a former Minister, I also know about rules and regulations, therefore, if my nomination is not valid and disqualified, so be it.
“I just want it to be fair, because I was informed that I am not the only one to submit my nomination on June 15,” Khairy added.
According to Khairy, the MPC must be managed well to gain the confidence and trust of the corporate sector.
“Previously. the MPC depended on the government, but when SM Nasarudin took over, more corporate sponsors began coming in.
“I have not even started campaigning, and although I am taking it easy, nobody wants to lose an election.
“This is important to me, and I will be getting in touch with several associations to talk to them about my plans and ideas.”
On whether Khairy knew much about Datuk Seri Megat D Shahriman Zaharudin, who is also contesting for the top post, Khairy said: “No, not really.”