Close ↓
Prime Minister's wife Tun Dr Siti Hasmah Mohd Ali visited the world number one badminton player Kento Momota of Japan who was injured in an accident involving a van and a trailer at KM 13.7 Maju Expressway (MEX) earlier this morning. The player suffered a broken nose in the accident that also killed a van driver on his way to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA). -- BERNAMA pic

PUTRAJAYA: World No 1 Kento Momota, who was involved in a road accident at Maju Expressway (MEX) this morning, could be discharged from the hospital today.

The 26-year-old along with three others — BWF's Hawkeye technical officer William Thomas, physiotherapist Yu Hirayama and assistant coach Akifumi Morimoto — are said to be in stable condition and are currently under observation at the Putrajaya Hospital.

BA of Malaysia (BAM) secretary-general Datuk Kenny Goh told Timesport: “They have undergone treatment and are currently resting.

“The doctors are observing them. We should be able to know after 5pm if they will be admitted or not.

“I think the Japanese team just want to know if they are fit to travel.”

Momota, who clinched the Malaysia Masters men’s singles title on Sunday, along with the rest were in a van heading to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) when the vehicle crashed into the back of a trailer.

Driver, N.Bavan died at the scene.

Close ↓