KUALA LUMPUR: Federal Territories Minister Khalid Samad has hit back at Datuk Seri Najib Razak, saying that the former prime minister had failed the people of Kampung Baru as no offer was made to them at all during the previous government.
Khalid also said the previous government’s efforts in hiring six evaluators for the land’s value were a waste of time since no offer was made.
“He (Najib) said they (BN) made the effort of hiring six private land analysts and evaluators. He spoke about all his efforts in deciding the value of the land. But until now no offer was made.
“What’s the point of hiring six private evaluators when the value of the land was not known. Just a waste of time,” said Khalid, who was commenting on Najib’s Facebook post where the latter had said that the then government did not offer any price to the residents of Kampung Baru.
Commenting further, Khalid said Najib’s admission that no offer was made showed that Najib did not consider this issue as an important issue to solve.
“You must know, he was not a prime minister for only nine weeks, he was the prime minister for nine years.
“Don’t tell me in those nine years, the private companies could not decide on the value of the land and no offer could be made? I only became a minister for more than a year, and he was a prime minister for nine years, so don’t tell me he couldn’t make an effort.
“If this is true, then he (Najib) has failed in his effort to solve this problem,” said Khalid.
In addition to this, Khalid said the issue of dissatisfaction among the residents on the amount offered will be brought to the next Cabinet meeting this Wednesday.
Kampung Baru covers a 120ha area in the middle of the city and about 80ha has been earmarked for redevelopment. Of the 80ha, 62ha is privately owned.
Khalid was reported to have said recently that the final say on the government offer for the land deal in Kampung Baru would be made by the prime minister. He said this after his offer to buy out the landowners at the rate of RM850 per sq ft was rejected by them.
He said he would send a detailed report to Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad soon on the outcome of the ministry’s town hall session with the stakeholders, where the government had been urged to revise its offer.
Khalid had said Dr Mahathir would reply within a month.