KUALA LUMPUR: Perak DAP exco Paul Yong, who is implicated over a rape case allegation, might be asked to go on garden leave if police investigation drags on, said Perak Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Faizal Azumu.
Faizal who is also Perak Pakatan Harapan chairman said he would discuss the matter with the Tronoh assemblyman, and would also get views from leaders of the ruling coalition before making a decision.
“Currently, it is just an investigation. No charges have been made, so he can resume his duties.
“However, if the police probe takes a long time, he might be advised to take leave,” he said when met at the Parliament lobby here.
Faizal also confirmed that the swearing in ceremony for Perak Exco members, which was scheduled today, had to be postponed due to the investigation.
“It was not appropriate to continue, as he was one of those to be sworn in.”
On July 9, the 49-year old politician was arrested to facilitate investigation following a police report lodged by a domestic worker on Monday.
In the police report, Yong was said to have raped the Indonesian woman at his house in Meru, Perak.
Federal police Sexual, Women and Children’s Crime Department deputy director-general Assistant Commissioner Choo Lily confirmed receiving a report on the incident.
She said the case was being investigated under Section 375 of the Penal Code for rape.
State police chief Datuk Razarudin Husain said the 23-year-old Indonesian had been taken to a safe location.