Close ↓
Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has given his assurance that the police probe into the sex videos implicating a federal minister will remain independent. NSTP/MOHAMAD SHAHRIL BADRI SAALI

KUALA LUMPUR: Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin has given his assurance that the police probe into the sex videos implicating a federal minister will remain independent.

He said this was despite Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's recent statement that the video was "probably fake".

Muhyiddin also said a special task force had been entrusted to probe and verify the authenticity of the videos.

“I think that is the PM's views of what he feels about the whole situation. We guarantee there will be independent as it involves the integrity of the government.

“As I explained a few days ago, there is a special task force entrusted to look into this matter thoroughly," he told the reporters at the Parliament lobby here today.

He said the task force would probe the case from the legal point of view as well as verify the authenticity of the videos.

Muhyiddin said the task force was under no pressure to speed up the investigation.

“As I said before, we need a bit of time. They (police) have to do what needs to be done and hopefully, we will be able to establish the real facts after this team completes its investigation.

“I hope it will not take long unless the police need time to identify those involved and find them. But it shouldn’t take years. That’s not reasonable,” he said.

He said he would not make any assumptions on the case before the investigation was complete.

"After the investigation concludes, the report will be submitted to the Attorney-General’s Chambers (AGC).

“The AGC will then review the report presented by the police before deciding on the next course of action, and whether there is a necessity for legal action or otherwise.

"So, I cannot predict the outcome as it is based on the AG's decision,” he said.

Yesterday, Muhyiddin said the investigation into the sex video case allegedly involving former Santubong PKR Youth chief Haziq Abdullah Abdul Aziz was still ongoing.

Last month, several video clips of two men engaging in sex acts went viral on social media platforms. On June 12, Haziq confessed he was one of the men featured in the videos.

He had also accused a federal minister of being the other man in the videos.

4,006 reads