KUALA LUMPUR: There has been no report of Malaysians being affected by the earthquake which struck the Philippines, said Foreign Ministry.
This follows a report of a 6.1 Richter scale temblor in the province of Zambales in Luzon Island, the Philippines on Monday afternoon.
AFP reported that rescuers were scrambling on Tuesday to reach dozens of people feared buried under a building near Manila that collapsed, as the death toll climbed to 11.
The worst of the damage was in the province of Pampanga, which was the site of most of the 11 fatalities, disaster officials said. Dozens of others were injured by falling rubble, including in Manila.
The toll could rise as crews fanned out across the region to assess damage in isolated hamlets that lost power and communications in one of the area's strongest tremors in years.
Over 400 aftershocks have been registered since the initial quake, with some as strong as 3.4 magnitude, Philippine seismologists said.
Wisma Putra said due to the proximity of Zambales, the quake was also experienced around Manila.
Areas including Bulacan, Batangas, Bataan, Pampanga, Baquio City, Cabanatuan City, Palayan City, Gapan
City, Santo Domingo and Talavera, Nueva Ecija Baler, Aurora were also affected, it said.
“So far, there has been no report of any Malaysians affected by the earthquake,” said Wisma Putra in a statement, today.
The ministry advised Malaysians in the Philippines, visiting or living in the affected areas to be cautious and follow instructions from local authorities.
It added that Malaysians requiring consular assistance are also advised to contact the Embassy of Malaysia in
Manila at: Embassy of Malaysia, 107, Tordesillas Street, Salcedo Village, Makati City, Manila 1227 Philippines, or call +63 2 662 8200, +63 917 864 0761 (after working hours) or email to firstname.lastname@example.org