Forensics specialist Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi speaks to reporters at the Shah Alam Court Complex. - NSTP/SADDAM YUSOFF

SHAH ALAM: Forensics specialist Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi today told the Coroner’s Court that he could not determine the object that had caused fireman Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim’s injuries.

The Kuala Lumpur Hospital forensics department specialist said, based on clinical examinations and the post-mortem examination conducted with department head Datuk Dr Mohd Shah Mahmood, it was found that Adib’s injuries were not due to being crushed by the emergency medical rescue services (EMRS) vehicle.

“Injuries to his right chest might have been caused by blunt, hard, wide and rough objects.

“On what the object is, I can’t help the court,” he said.

Dr Hafizam was questioned by counsel Kamaruzaman A. Wahab, who is acting on behalf of Adib’s family, about his injuries and bruises, in front of coroner Rofiah Mohamad.

Dr Hafizam said he had to “work blind” as there were no witnesses that could assist in identifying the object that had caused the injuries.

He also reiterated that Adib had not been dragged out from the vehicle, but had exited on his own.

“As I mentioned earlier, it was based on the experiments conducted,” he said.

Previously, Dr Hafizam had suggested that it was likely that Adib had sustained his injuries while exiting the EMRS vehicle in a hurry.

However, 29th witness Professor Dr Shahrom Abdul Wahid, a retired pathologist from Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital (HUKM), who was also present during the demonstration had suggested that Adib was pulled out from the EMRS vehicle during a riot outside the Sri Maha Mariamman temple in Subang Jaya on Nov 27 last year.

He also suggested that Adib had been attacked by a mob which led to seven broken ribs.

It was claimed that Adib, 24, died from severe injuries sustained after he was allegedly assaulted by rioters at the temple.

He was part of an emergency response team dispatched to the scene to douse a vehicle which had been torched.

Despite showing signs of recovery while being treated at the National Heart Institute, Adib died on Dec 17.

The inquest continues tomorrow.

647 reads