KUALA NERUS: The dengue epidemic is so alarming in Terengganu that concerted efforts have to be taken to prevent more victims and deaths, said Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Razif Abdul Rahman.
He said as of Jan 21, a total of 407 cases were reported in the state, as compared with 106 cases for the corresponding period last year, accounting for a 301 increase.
There were also five deaths during the period this year, with four cases in the state capital Kuala Terengganu and one in Kampung Pulau Perhentian, Besut.
"We have the ignominy of occupying fifth spot in the country for having the most number of dengue cases. This is not a good sign and is worrying.
"We cannot take things lightly and all parties, including the public, must play a role in combating dengue. We should not just place this responsibility on the Health Department and local authorities," he said at the gotong-royong Perdana at Kampung Bukit Kandis.
According to statistics, Kuala Terengganu had the most number of dengue cases (26) followed by Kuala Nerus (65), Dungun (26), Besut (19), Marang (14), Hulu Terengganu (11), Kemaman (5) and Setiu (2).
Razif expressed concern that 30 locations were still active with dengue. Of this number, he said 16 locations were in Kuala Terengganu, seven in Kuala Nerus, two in Besut and one in Dungun.
"Kuala Terengganu's worst hit areas are in Jalan Panji Alam, Kampung Chendering Pantai, Kampung Gong Tok Nasek Hilir and Kedai Buloh," he said.