KUALA TERENGGANU: With a total of 99 dengue cases, including two deaths, for the first nine days this year, Terengganu is being seriously threatened by the Aedes mosquito.
State Health Department director Dr Mohamed Omar admitted of a ‘red alert’ since November last year, just as the monsoon season was beginning.
He said the 99 cases were an increase of a whopping 253.6 per cent as compared with for the same period last year, which recorded only 28 cases.
“The situation in the state is worrying.
“The capital Kuala Terengganu is the worst hit with 76 cases for the first nine days this year, followed by Dungun with seven cases, Kuala Nerus five, Besut four and three cases each for Hulu Terengganu, Kemaman and Marang,” he said.
The two deaths this year involved a 65-year-old man on Jan 2 and a 49-year-old woman yesterday (Saturday), both at the Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital.
Incidentally, both victims were from Kampung Panji Alam, about two kilometres from the city centre.
“I urge the local people, especially those from Kampung Panji Alam to take precautionary measures by living in a cleaner and hygienic environment before more become dengue victims.
“Instead of pointing fingers and being unaccountable, we have to be proactive to combat dengue. Do we have to wait for more deaths to occur before doing something positive?” he asked.
Dr Mohamed warned errant property owners in dengue hotspots of stern action, including a maximum fine of RM500, for allowing their premises to become aedes mosquito breeding grounds.
To date, he said, a total of 15 compounds had been issued since Dec 12 last year.
“There will be no compromise on this matter as it concerns the well-being and health of many. Despite many gotong-royong and awareness programmes, there still apathy among some,” he said.
Dr Mohammad blamed the mentality of those who cared less for cleanliness and irresponsible owners who left their idle land or properties as breeding grounds.